Social distancing is an important and effective measure taken to prevent the spread of Covid-19. It is also called physical distancing as it is maintaining a physical distance between people and reducing the number of times where people come into close contact with each other. Staying at home as much as possible and avoiding crowded, public places is an essential way to slow down the spread of Covid-19.
Cancelled events. Restricted gatherings. Closed shops and restaurants. You’re stuck at home and the only outdoor activity is a trip to the supermarket. Here’s how to get through it.
1. Make social distancing a positive thing by taking time to focus on your personal health. Eat nutritious food such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, good fats, and lean proteins. Eating a healthy diet helps for weight loss, reduces cancer risk, and improves heart health and stroke prevention.
2. Enjoy physical activity. Go for a walk/run or exercise at home. Exercise helps to control your weight, reduce your risk of heart diseases, strengthen your bones & muscles and improves your mental health and mood.
3. Spend time with your family. Get comfy on the couch and have a bonding time by watching movies or tv shows, and engage your family in a conversation to strengthen your connection.
4. Don’t oversleep, but try to sleep between 7 to 9 hours per night to function at your best. Getting a full night’s sleep keeps your heart healthy, reduces stress, makes you more alert and improves your memory.
5. Make the best use of technology to finish your work. “The good news: Working from home promotes work-life balance and can make people more productive and happier.”
6. Social distancing is also a good time to reassess your skills and training – consider taking an online course, pursuing certification, undergoing training or personality development, or download an app or purchase an online course to learn a new language.
7. Engage in household cleaning, clear clutter or donate unused household items. Home clutter can harbor pollutants, lead to infections and result in unsanitary spaces. Cleaning and disinfecting frequently helps to prevent the spread of Covid-19
8. Chat or call someone you haven’t connected with in a while. It may be a good time to check on your friends’ and family members’ well-being.
9. Engage in activities to keep your mind and body active. Listen to music or sing. Try dancing, yoga, or meditation to relieve stress and improve your wellbeing. Sketch or paint, read books or novels, solve puzzles, play board or video games. Try new recipes or learn about other cultures.
10. Don’t isolate yourself entirely – social distancing shouldn’t become social isolation. Don’t be anxious, don’t panic and do keep communicating with others.
Although it’s uncertain how long social distancing will last, there are various things you can do to make use of time and take good care of yourself. Have a positive outlook on life, always practice good hygiene, and together, we can overcome Covid-19.